Snapchat, a Myth? Instagram Stories
Moments after the release of Instagram stories, I came across a pool of stories that were being pushed out to peers in the Instagram world. Some of them were really cool.
So what did Instagram do with the introduction of Instagram stories?
- Instagram saved Facebook $3BN - Snapchat had turned down Facebook's offer of 3 BILLION dollars to buy them out. Oops!
- No scratch - Instagram have an existing pool of users and don't have to start from 0 (zero) to get users to download a separate app. Moreover, users who have built their audience don't have to start from scratch either.
- I've seen you somewhere - Since the feature resides on Instagram, users who are quite regular on Instagram, shouldn't have any issue adopting. So all those users who have had issues using Snapchat, Instagram is your hero!
- Simplifying life - Now users don't need to pull out their phone and use multiple apps to share content. Just use one app to share pictures and stories :)
How does it work?
- Instagram Stories appears at the top of your newsfeed.
- To view someone’s Instagram story, simply tap on their profile photo, and their story will appear in full screen, showcasing content that was posted in the last 24 hours.
- The content is sorted from oldest to newest and can be skipped with a forward swipe and tap to go back.
Unlike regular Instagram posts, there are no likes or comments.
Basic 101 on creating a story
- Tap the '+' symbol in the top left corner of your Instagram feed to start a new story.
Alternatively, simply swipe left on your Instagram home screen.
- Similar to Snapchat, tap on the circle button at the bottom of the screen to take a photo or hold it down to record a video.
- Similar to post edits on Instagram, you can use a range of filters and also add text and drawings to your content. Swipe left or right to choose filters.
- Once you've beautified your content, simply tap on the check mark at the bottom to add the content to your story. Et voila! You've entered the world of stories.
Snapchat will surely be affected with Instagram's new feature, but users who have built a large audience will not simply bail out. It is certain they will engage with their audiences, but I don't think it will sustain for long. Instagram has always been a great place to share moments with followers. Now, you can share stories and moments in one place! That's about it. So the billion dollar question is, Instagram or Snapchat? Or will Instagram leverage on MSQRD, Facebook’s recent acquisition to create interactive mask filters?
A passionate digital marketeer by profession and a budding entrepreneur, Hameed has been a digital obsessive for over a decade, consulting prominent brands and startups on their visibility in the digital world. He was titled as Middle East’s Top Media Talent aged under 30 by CampaignME and has managed successful initiatives for the government of UAE and India - Expo 2020, #happydubai and International Yoga Day. He has also strategized and executed various digital campaigns for Luxury brands, Hoteliers, Airlines, Financial institutions, Autos, Retail and FMCGs. Apart from his day job as a Senior Digital Manager at BPG Maxus, he is a guest lecturer at universities, content writer for prominent digital channels and an entertainer when time permits.